Things to do in Arizona
Pueblo Grande Museum and Archeological Park
Pueblo Grande Museum and Archaeological Park, a section of the City of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department, Natural Resources Division, was donated to the city in 1924. A museum was opened on the site in 1929 and, a Museum Director/City Archaeologist was hired, the first City Archaeologist in the nation. The original museum building was completed in 1935 using adobe blocks manufactured on site and scavenged supplies. At the height of the Great Depression, the City Archaeologist enjoyed telling visitors that the museum was built at the cost of $14.95, which was spent on a box of nails. In 1974, 1995, 1999, 2003, and 2016, the museum underwent several additions to the campus adding collections storage, a meeting facility, long term exhibits, portal entrance and a portal loop trail, and much more. The museum has been in continuous operation for over 90 years, serving the citizens of Phoenix and their guests.
Imagery and content sourced from https://phoenix.gov/parks/arts-culture-history/pueblo-grande